Camcorders help create nostalgic reels by capturing your most precious moments. But often, these videos may get deleted either accidentally or due to errors in the camcorder’s internal memory or the memory card.
Don’t fret just yet. This article features a quick step-by-step guide for accomplishing camcorder video recovery. Click here to jump straight to the guide.
Can You Recover Deleted Videos from A Camcorder?
Yes. You could use data recovery software to restore deleted camcorder videos. Broadly, you would have to deal with either the camcorder’s internal memory or external data storage like an SD card.
Here are the main differences between an internal memory and external memory card:
Type of memory storage
📹 Internal Memory
Directly connected to the device's motherboard; in this case, it would be connected to the camcorder's motherboard.
Sometimes, the camcorder's internal memory does not get recognized by the computer as a storage device, thus eliminating the chances of data recovery.
💻 External Memory
Detachable and expandable storage media that you can eject from the camcorder. You can access the files on the memory card using an SD card reader that connects to your PC.
It is easier to recover data from an external memory card via a compatible card reader. On the other hand, many ultrabook PCs come with an inbuilt card reader which can read your camcorder SD card data. Once you gain access to the data storage, you can trigger data recovery tools to scan and recover data from an SD card.
Data loss can occur due to various factors affecting the camcorder video recovery possibility. Here are some situations when data recovery can be tricky:
Dissecting Data Loss Scenarios
- Formatted SD Card. You could lose data if you perform a format incorrectly. Data recovery tools help search your card and recover data from a formatted SD Card.
- Accidental Data Loss. If you accidentally deleted videos from your camcorder, you can rely on data recovery software to quickly restore the erased files from an SD card.
- Virus Contamination. Data loss may occur due to malware or virus infection.
- Corrupted SD card. Some infamous corruption signs include:
- ❌No SD card detected on your laptop
- 🔎Read/write issues
- 🗂️Missing files
- 💢The “You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it” error.
- 🐌Unusually slow performance
- Damaged SD Card. SD cards can get damaged over time or due to accidents like water spillage or mechanical stress. If you cannot access the damaged SD card, the chances of data recovery are pretty low.
- File System Problems. If your card’s file system abruptly flips to RAW, it can become impossible to see your video files on your PC. As a result, you need to try out data recovery tools to take a byte-to-byte backup of your memory card and then attempt data recovery.
How to Recover Deleted Video Files from Camcorder
You can try Disk Drill with no strings attached: Recover videos for free (up to 500 MB).
Here’s how you can recover deleted files from a camcorder using Disk Drill:
- Download and Install Disk Drill.
- Connect the camcorder to your computer and wait for the computer to recognize the storage device. You can also use a card reader to access the memory card. For this demonstration, we used a CF memory card.
- Launch Disk Drill on your computer and select the appropriate storage device. Then, click on Search for lost data.
- Once the scan completes, click on Review Found Items to scroll through your recovered videos. You can also pause scans midway if you’re in a rush. In this example, we have paused the scan to take a look.
- Select your files and click on Recover. Choose the destination where you want to store the recovered video files, and click Next. 👀
You can use the filter feature to key in the target file type. For instance, type in “mp4” and hit Enter to filter your search results accordingly. Also, you can use the preview feature to discover details like the file size and last modified date. Hover over any file and click on the eye icon to reveal the preview pane.
- After Disk Drill completes the recovery, you can see the recovered video files in the selected location.
Regarding camcorder video recovery, Disk Drill is a real gem because it supports data recovery from various memory cards.
You can use Disk Drill to recover video files from external memory cards like:
Camcorders have been a part of the fondest memories for most people. However, data loss is always a probability. The good news is that data recovery technologies have become quite sophisticated.
Disk Drill is one of the safest and easiest tools to retrieve deleted files from a camcorder. It can also recover deleted files from GoPro and other industry-leading brands like Samsung, Canon, Sony, JVC, and Panasonic.
Disk Drill is known for its compatibility with various file formats and storage devices, making it a convenient recovery tool for deleted videos and other files.
Joshua is a content curator for Handy Recovery. His expertise involves taking intricate IT concepts and breaking them down into super easy to understand chunks. He’s been wielding the writing sword for quite some time now - 3 years to be precise. Digital marketing, data recovery, and anything “techy” are Joshua’s niches.
Andrey Vasilyev is an Editorial Advisor for Handy Recovery. Andrey is a software engineer expert with extensive expertise in data recovery, computer forensics, and data litigation. Andrey brings over 12 years of experience in software development, database administration, and hardware repair to the team.