Our iPhones are one of the most used devices that we own. They’re always in our pockets and we store personal information, messages with loved ones, and take pictures of our lives on them making them a central device for all of our data.
Losing this important information can be frustrating, rather it is from our phone being damaged or just something not saving correctly. You can’t put a price on photos that we have taken or messages with loved ones as we want to hold onto those forever.
The good news is that there are ways to recover data from our iPhones. In fact, there are many forms of iPhone recovery software programs out there and in this article, we’re going to look at the best iPhone data recovery software that you can get.
What Makes iPhone Recovery Software Good Enough to be in this List?
For a software recovery tool to be on this list, it has to be able to recover your data and make it easy to do so. There are going to be several metrics that have been taken into consideration when putting together the rankings below.
- Reliability: When you launch a software application, you want it to run smoothly and not crash. No matter what the claims are that the company has made, if the software can’t run well in the first place, then it’s not going to be worth your time or money.
- Compatibility: You want the software that you’re running to be compatible with your device and ensure that it can recover the data from your iPhone and not just the newest model.
- Price: When selecting iPhone data recovery software, you want to get the most for your hard-earned money.
- Ease of use: An app shouldn’t have to teach you how to use it, you should be able to use it without a manual and it should be intuitive enough to accomplish the task of recovering data from your iPhone. It can be frustrating trying to figure out how to use something that you just paid for and those options won’t be included for that reason.
- Features: If the iPhone data recovery software does more than just recover your deleted data, then that is a benefit! More value for your money!
Top 7 Best iPhone Data Recovery Software
The list below was put together taking into account the factors above and my personal experiences with each one. Based on those experiences, I was able to create the ranking that you will see below.
These opinions are all my own, and yours may vary depending on your opinions and experiences with the software applications from the list. The goal of this article is to evaluate each option to help give you an idea of which one would work best for you when it comes to the best iPhone data recovery software.
In short, you can’t go wrong with any of the software programs from this list certain things make some of the options better than the others.
Disk Drill is a data recovery tool that can recover lost data from your iPhone, Mac, and Windows devices. It backs a modern and easy-to-use interface and is updated regularly. Having a modern and intuitive interface means there is less time spent trying to figure out how the software works and you can get right to iPhone data recovery.
- Beautiful modern interface.
- Easy to use.
- Straight forward recovery steps.
- Works on both Mac and Windows.
- Preview your files.
- Allowed me to quickly scan my iPhone.
- The free version doesn’t let you recover data, you can only preview what is recoverable.
I gave Disk Drill the number one spot because it scanned my iPhone fast, was easy to navigate, and I was able to locate a ton of deleted pictures. Disk Drill gives you the best visual and overall experience when it comes to recovering data from your iOS device. I am a huge fan of the large file icons making it super easy to navigate. You can’t put a price on lost data from your iPhone and Disk Drill gives you the best experience and chances at recovering that data.
- Recover data from the device’s internal disk.
- Recover data from an iTunes backup.
- Recover files from an iCloud backup.
- Includes a long list of supported iOS devices.
- Supports multiple file formats.
- Includes data protection tool.
Price: non-permanent license ($89) Lifetime license ($118).
iMobie PhoneRescue has a modern interface that is easy to use and navigate through. It has a simple interface that allows you to quickly recover your data and doesn’t make you go through a ton of steps to accomplish the task at hand.
- Has a modern and beautiful interface.
- I was able to find and recover a large amount of lost data.
- Easy to navigate and use.
- Allows you to recover from iTunes and iCloud.
- Includes Device Rescue features.
- You must pay to recover data and can only preview with the free version.
- It took a long time to scan my iPhone.
PhoneRescue is second on this list because it does a good job at finding your data, offers extra tools for the price, and the interface is intuitive and easy to use.
After you scan your device and have it analyze your data (which took about an hour for me which is quite a long time), you’re greeted by an easy-to-use and digestible list of your personal data where you can then view and select what you would like to recover. I think the scan time is really worth the wait though, as the software did a good job overall at finding my deleted data.
- Recover data from your iPhone.
- Recover data from an iTunes backup.
- Recover data from an iCloud backup.
- Remove lock screen on your iPhone.
- Recover screen time & restrictions passcode.
Price: 1-year license ($69.99) Lifetime license ($99.99).
FoneLab iPhone Data Recovery allows you to recover deleted data from your iOS device. The interface is quite simple and has a white backdrop with colorful sidebar icons that are organized in a list which makes it easy to navigate and you won’t have a hard time understanding how to use this one either.
- Runs reliably and smoothly.
- Includes large preview icons that make it easy to see your data.
- The software recovers data from iTunes and iCloud.
- Is competitively priced.
- You must purchase the recovery software to recover the data it was able to find.
- My photos were put under a different category than what I was expecting.
FoneLab iPhone Data Recovery is third on this list because it offers an easy-to-use interface, has large preview icons, is reliable, and it gets the job done.
The only issue that I found with FoneLab is that it put some of my pictures under a different category and at first I didn’t think it was able to recover any of them.
If you’re not seeing a photo that you think should have been recovered, check under the Camera Roll category as it puts some photos under there as well. They won’t all be under the Photo Library category but split between the two.
- Allows you to recover deleted or lost data from your iPhone.
- Preview detailed information about your lost data.
- Supports a long list of iOS devices.
- Includes the ability to restore from an iTunes backup.
- Includes the ability to restore from an iCloud backup.
4. Dr. Fone
Dr. Fone recovers deleted and lost data from any iOS device. You can restore things such as photos, text messages, contacts, reminders, and all other sorts of data that are stored on your iPhone.
- A solid recovery option that runs reliably.
- Includes large previews of your data that makes it easy to distinguish what you’re looking for.
- Includes additional iPhone features.
- You can’t recover data unless you pay and register the app.
- Some other options are more intuitive, easier to use and cost about the same price.
Dr. Fone is number four on this list as it is a solid option and does what it is intended to do. While it doesn’t bring anything groundbreaking to the table, I would only really consider this one if you can find it on sale. You won’t make a mistake purchasing this one, but there are just better alternatives higher up on the list that come in around the same price and in my opinion, give you more bang for your buck when it comes to the interface.
- Comes with iPhone data recovery support.
- Includes the ability to recover from both an iTunes and iCloud backup.
- Includes screen unlock, system repair, phone transfer, and virtual location functionality.
Tenorshare UltData recovers data from your iPhone or other iOS device and supports up to 35 file types. It supports devices all the way back to iPhone 4, all iPads versions, and all iPod Touch versions.
- Awesome file preview feature.
- Scans your iPhone fast.
- Supports a large number of file types
- The software is easy-to-use.
- Comes with additional iOS features in addition to being able to back up your data.
- The cost is high unless you can get it on sale.
- The software wasn’t able to find as much data to recover as some other alternatives.
UltData is number six on this list because it has an intuitive design and it scanned my iPhone quickly. The only issue is that it was only able to find 15,000 pictures of mine which is still pretty impressive but other alternatives above were able to find more. I would download the app and do the scan first before making a purchase decision. You want to make sure it can find what you’re trying to recover.
- Recover data directly from iOS devices and iTunes backups.
- Support for more than 35 file formats.
- Compatibility with a large variety of iPhone models.
- Comes with an iOS System Fix feature.
Price: 1-year license $179.
iMyfone D-Back quickly recovers data from an iOS device and it does so in a couple of simple steps. It can recover lost, deleted, and unrecoverable data.
- Comes with a beautifully clear interface design that is easy-to-use.
- Includes a preview screen to show you the data the software is able to recover.
- It can’t recover as many files as some of the other alternatives on this list.
- The price is high when selecting the 1-month option, the year plan is better in my opinion.
iMyfone D-Back is overall a good experience. There isn’t anything about it that stands out, but they’re also isn’t anything that I really have when it comes to negatives either, it gets the job done. It would be nice if it could find as many recoverable files as other options above, but it was able to find a large enough amount to make the list. I would recommend staying away from the 1-month purchase option and go for something such as the 1-year plan as you get more for your money.
- Quickly recover data directly from any iOS device.
- Includes the ability to recover data from both an iTunes and iCloud backup.
- You can fix iOS system issues or iOS update errors before trying to attempt iPhone data recovery.
Price: 1-month plan $59.95 1-year plan $69.95 lifetime plan $109.95.
FonePaw is a professional iPhone data recovery software tool that allows you to recover deleted data from your iPhone.
- The interface is easy to use.
- A visual scanning bar is useful and shows the user the scan progress.
- Took a long time to complete a scan
- Cost more than some of the other alternatives.
- You must purchase the software to recover the data from your iPhone.
FonePaw is number seven on this list as it does a good job at recovering data, but isn’t as optimized as some of the other options above.
When using this app, the scan time was very long for me, it took about 2 hours to complete the scan on my iPhone when Disk Drill was able to complete this in about 30 minutes.
- Recover data from your iPhone directly.
- Recover both from an iTunes and iCloud backup.
- Comes with support for more than 30 file types.
- Supports recovery from many 3rd party services.
Price: Mac $69.95.
iPhone Data Recovery Software to Avoid
This section isn’t necessarily for iPhone data recovery that isn’t worth looking into, but it shows ones that aren’t worth the money in my opinion due to them not meeting the criteria that they were being judged on for the top data recovery software list above.
Keep in mind that as of this time of writing, I am running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and it could be that due to the new operating system release some of these may have not been updated to support the newest OS, your mileage may vary.
- EaseUS has been a good option in the past but on macOS Big Sur, it will run but crashes every time when trying to scan. Due to this, I can not recommend it at this time.
- Stellar Data Recovery will install and launch, and it even is able to see my iPhone. The issue is that when I try to scan my device, it fails and is unable to start a scan. Due to this, I can not recommend this option.
- Leawo Data Recovery is a 32-bit app and won’t run on macOS Big Sur or any other recent versions of macOS. If the app is updated for a 64-bit operating system, then this one could be a contender. Keep in mind that if you’re running an older version of macOS that still supports 32-bit apps, this one should work for you.
- Gihsoft iPhone Data Recovery wouldn’t complete as it said that I have an iTunes backup and needed to enter a password for it and this isn’t true as I don’t use iTunes to backup, I use iCloud so I was unable to test this one as I couldn’t get past this screen.
You can’t go wrong with any on this list and most of them are nearly the same as they’re all trying to accomplish the same task. However, some are better than others and they all offer you the option to download them for free and test them out before you make a purchasing decision.
The good news is that if you lose data on your iPhone, there are multiple ways you can attempt to recover it. Find one that you like the looks of and that has features that appeal to you and you can’t go wrong.