Is it Possible to Get Back Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 10?
Yes. Due to the method the Windows operating system employs to delete data, files that are apparently permanently deleted can be recovered. Windows deletes a file by making it logically unavailable to the operating system or any applications. The file is still physically present at its original location on the hard drive or storage device. This fact enables data recovery software to be used to undelete files on Windows 10 computers until the space they occupied is overwritten.
The ability to perform file recovery on Windows 10 machines can be vitally important in many situations. It is easy to accidentally delete files by mistake as you go about your day-to-day business.
With a simple click, you can inadvertently lose videos, documents, and other items. You might also have emptied the Recycle Bin just before realizing that some of the files you had deleted are important. In order to recover missing files, you need data recovery software.
An important precaution that should be taken before attempting data recovery on a Windows 10 PC is to stop using the disk that contained the deleted files. This is to prevent them from being overwritten before you have a chance to retrieve them
To recover deleted files in Windows 10 using Disk Drill data recovery software, follow these steps.
- Download and install the free version of Disk Drill for Windows. Provide your password if requested to enable the full functionality of the software.
To prevent overwriting or corrupting files that you intended to unerase, we strongly recommend that you do not install the software on the disk that contains the deleted files. We suggest using a USB or flash drive if the disk in questions is the main disk on your PC.
- Launch the application.
- Select the disk on which the deleted files were stored from the list provided by Disk Drill.
- Click the Search for lost data button to initiate the algorithms that the software uses to scan the disk when finding lost files on your storage media.
- Preview the files that can be recovered by Disk Drill.
The data recovery software for Windows 10 can be used to restore up to 500 MB for free before upgrading to the Pro version of the tool.
- Select the files or folders that you would like to restore. Choose a new storage location where the files will be saved.
Do not use files original location as this can lead to file corruption during the recovery. Consider creating a new folder on your computer to save the recovered files. You can move them back to their original locations on your desktop after the recovery is complete.
- Click the Recover button to perform the file recovery.
That’s all there is to it. Disk Drill offers a Deep scan that can scavenge your disk and reconstruct files that are not found in the initial Quick scan. It also provides additional free data protection and maintenance tools which enhance your computing experience.
One of Microsoft’s main advertising pitches when attempting to tempt users to upgrade to Windows 10 is the enhanced security provided by the operating system. As the most popular operating system in the world, Windows is a prime target for hackers and malware. Society’s heightened emphasis on security is mirrored in the greater protection afforded your data by Windows 10.
Let’s look at some of the specific ways that Windows 10 provides security to ensure that you can always access your important data.
- Windows Defender Credential Guard – This feature, which is new to Windows 10, makes use of virtualization-based security to restrict access to secrets whose unauthorized use can lead to credential theft attacks. Credentials are protected by using platform security features such as Secure Boot. Windows NTLM and Kerberos credentials are kept safe by running a protected environment not accessible from the main running operating system.
- Windows Defender Device Guard – Comprised of two distinct components, Windows Defender Exploit Guard and Windows Defender Application Control, this security feature locks down your system, making it much harder for malware to be executed successfully. Applications need to be trusted by the enforced code integrity policies in order to run. This hinders attackers who may breach the windows kernel from running malicious code.
- Windows 10 S – This special configuration of Windows 10 Pro adds another layer of protection to your Windows desktop or laptop computer. It combines hardware, code integrity policies, and app certification to guard against unauthorized applications from executing on your machine. There are hardware and driver requirements that must be met to run Windows 10 S.
If security concerns you, you should upgrade to Windows 10 if you have not done so already. Recent research indicates that the prevalence of malware on Windows 10 machines has been dramatically decreased when compared to systems running Windows 7.
Microsoft was hit with a class action lawsuit in 2017 related to automatic upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that caused some users to experience data loss. The plaintiffs charged that Microsoft did not exercise sufficient care when pushing the adoption of Windows 10 by offering free upgrades. One of the complaints was that while the installer did check for hardware compatibility, it did not ensure the machine was robust enough to withstand the stress of the upgrade.
The risk of data loss is always present when working with computers. Having the right tools on hand to allow you to recover deleted files on Windows 10 machines as soon as the problem occurs is essential. While you should certainly protect your data by regularly taking a system backup, there are times where this is not enough to successfully restore deleted files on Windows 10 computers.
You can download Disk Drill for free and check it out to recover up to 500 MB of data. This will make you comfortable with the tool when you really need it.