Is it Possible to Restore a Hard Drive Partition?
Yes. Modern operating systems do not physically remove files when you delete them or format a drive partition. Rather, they make them logically inaccessible to the system and mark the storage space they previously occupied as available for use. Until the storage space is reused, logical access to the files can be restored. For this reason, file and partition recovery is possible if done before the deleted files are overwritten. The key is to take action as soon as possible.
The ability to recover a hard drive partition can be critically important. Disk partitions can be quite large in terms of physical storage and hold a tremendous amount of data which you may not be able to re-create. They could hold many gigabytes of irreplaceable photos or videos. The loss of a whole partition can be extremely unsettling and cause you to panic. The correct response is to remain calm, stop using that part of the disk, and plan to restore the deleted partition.
Table of Contents
- Part 1: How to Recover Hard Drive Partition via Disk Drill
- Part 2: Disk Drill – Best Partition Recovery Software
- Part 3: Common Causes of Deleted Partitions
- Part 4: Recovery Software – Best Way to Recover Lost Data Due to a Deleted Partition
- How to Make Future Recoveries Easier
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To recover deleted partitions with Disk Drill, follow these steps:
- Download and install Disk Drill.Disk Drill for Windows & macOS Free Download
- Launch the application.
- Select the disk where partition to be recovered.
- Click the Search for lost data button to scan the partition.
- Preview the files that can be recovered.
- Select the files to be recovered and a storage location for them.
- Click the Recover button to perform the recovery.
Disk Drill is a comprehensive data recovery tool that can be used to restore deleted or formatted partitions as well as accidentally deleted files. The program scans your HDD and can reconstruct and recover files in hundreds of file formats. A Quick scan can often find the missing data, but the application also offers a Deep scan that investigates the drive on a sector-by-sector basis.
Disk Drill can undelete deleted or formatted data on external storage devices as well as on a computer’s main disk. It is an easy to use yet powerful tool that enables you to begin recovery with a few clicks.
In addition to its stellar data recovery performance, Disk Drill also offers additional data protection and disk maintenance tools for free. The program is not freeware but can be downloaded and tested for no financial cost.
You might have to deal with a deleted partition for a number of reasons. Let’s look at some of them:
- Accidental deletion or formatting – Mistakenly formatting or deleting the wrong partition due to simple human error is one of the most common reasons for losing data. You need to be very careful and check twice before initiating a format or deletion to avoid this problem.
- Lost or damaged partition table – A corrupt, lost or damaged partition table can lead to its complete loss.
- Bad disk tracks or sectors – Numerous bad sectors or tracks can lead to the loss of a partition.
- Malware or virus infection – Destructive malware or viruses can cause widespread data loss.
- Operating system or file system corruption – Either of these issues can result in large quantities of data unexpectedly disappearing.
- Faulty partition resizing – You can adjust the size of your drive’s partitions, but this can be a risky procedure. A problem during resizing can lead to lost files and folders.
A partition recovery tool provides the best method of recovering your data if you have deleted or formatted a partition. In fact, it might be the only way to rescue your lost information. If you have a recent full backup, you may be able to use it to restore your data. Lack of a backup leaves you with no real option outside of employing a data recovery tool.
Even if you take regular backups, the deletion may happen after considerable disk activity that makes the backup somewhat obsolete. If this is the case, your first action should be to attempt a restore with recovery software. You can recover from the older backup if your recovery is not totally successful.
There are a couple of things you can do to make future data recovery efforts easier. They are:
Take regular backups of your system – Protecting your valuable data begins with making sure you have valid backups of your system. You can use native tools provided by your operating system or choose other options such as backing up to a cloud provider. Whatever method you employ, it is critical that you take the time to maintain a good copy of your data. You should also take a backup before performing upgrades, partition resizing, or any other task that may impact the health of your disk and data.
Become familiar with a recovery tool – Recovering from a deleted partition can be stressful as you consider the ramifications of actually losing the affected data. This might not be the best time to learn how to use a new software tool. Disk Drill can be downloaded and tested for free to let you get a feel for the application’s operation. Even if you just use to tool to preview potentially recoverable files, you will be more comfortable with the program when it really counts.