If you want to find out how to recover deleted files from a Hitachi hard drive, you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we explain the steps you need to take to successfully retrieve your lost files, providing multiple methods for you to choose from.
Is It Possible To Recover Data From a Hitachi Hard Drive?
Whether you can recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive or not, depends on the way you lost your files. There are multiple ways you can lose data, such as:
- Getting an error on your external drive – One of the most common reasons that may cause your operating system to display an error when you connect your external drive is improper ejection. Fortunately, errors caused by improper ejection can almost always be quickly fixed, and it’s extremely rare for them to cause permanent data loss.
- Formatting your external drive – If you’ve accidentally formatted your Hitachi hard drive, don’t worry as the situation isn’t as dire as it may seem. Your files will remain physically present on the formatted drive until they become overwritten by new data, and you can use data recovery software to recover them.
- Accidentally deleting your files – Have you deleted your files accidentally? If so, don’t worry a bit because your chances of recovering them are high! Accidents happen to anyone and there are programs that can help you get all your files back fast. You should note that if you’ve used your external drive after deleting your data, there are chances that the data has gotten overwritten, which would make its recovery impossible.
Before We Start
Before you recover deleted files from a Hitachi Hard Drive, there are several things you should do to prepare everything accordingly. You should:
- Stop using your device – It’s important for you to stop using your device as soon as you lose your files. If you keep using the device, some files might get corrupted or overwritten and you’ll only add fuel to the fire.
- Not format/reformat the drive – Even though formatting may sometimes be the surest way to fix hard drive problems, it will negatively impact your chances of recovering data or even reduce them to zero. That’s why you should avoid it until you try the methods described in this article.
- Create a byte-to-byte backup – You should backup your device in case something goes wrong during its recovery. The easiest way to do this is to use Disk Drill, as it allows you to create a byte-to-byte copy of your drive in a few easy steps. All you have to do is simply open the program and hit the Drive Backup button.
How To Recover Data From a Hitachi Hard Drive
To recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive, you first need to download an adequate program that allows you to do just that. You’ve several options to choose from as the internet is flooded with data recovery software.
Option A: Disk Drill for Windows
One of the most popular names in the data recovery world has to be Disk Drill. This feature-packed program lets you recover up to 500 MB of files free of charge. It’s got a clean and simple interface, which allows anyone from a computer expert to a complete beginner to use it hassle-free. Recovering lost data with Disk Drill is possible in only a few clicks, making it one of the best data recovery apps in the industry. I’ve been using it as my go-to recovery application because it works flawlessly and requires zero effort to use.
To restore your lost files with Disk Drill, all you have to do is:
- Download Disk Drill from the company’s official website.
- Install it on a different drive than the one you want to recover to avoid overwriting (for example on an USB drive).
- Launch Disk Drill and choose your Hitachi hard drive.
- Hit the ‘Search for lost data’ button in Disk Drill.
- Browse the list of recovered files and try previewing the ones you want to save.
- Click the ‘Recover’ button and choose a destination where you want Disk Drill to send your lost files to (be sure to store the files to a different volume/drive to avoid overwriting).
Note that if you want to recover more than 500 MB worth of files with Disk Drill from your Hitachi hard drive, you will have to buy the full version of the program. I’d say the purchase is worth it as Disk Drill can deliver excellent results. You can also catch various discounts on its official website, so make sure to look for them before finalizing your purchase.
Option B: Windows File Recovery Tool
Windows File Recovery is a popular Windows data recovery application that’s completely free. Because of that, it isn’t as feature-packed as Disk Drill, and it doesn’t support nearly as many file formats. Most importantly, Windows File Recovery has a command-line interface, making it rather difficult to get used to.
Here’s how it works:
- Download Windows File Recovery from the official app page.
- Open Windows File Recovery and allow access if asked to.
- Type in the following command line: winfr source-drive: destination-folder [/extensive] [/winfr]
- Press Y when you’re prompted to continue.
- Wait for the Windows File Recovery to finish the scan.
- Press Y once the application is finished scanning to view recovered files.
Options to Recover a Malfunctioned Hitachi Hard Drive
Has your Hitachi hard drive stopped functioning properly? If so, don’t worry—we’ll show you the most reliable methods of recovering a Hitachi hard drive that has stopped functioning properly.
Method 1 – Using Data Recovery Software
Don’t want to waste your time on manually recovering your malfunctioning Hitachi hard drive? Yet again, the most reliable method of solving this issue is installing the aforementioned Disk Drill. We’ve given you the steps you need to follow to use it correctly, but you may still be wondering how can Disk Drill access a disk? This amazing program can read your Hitachi hard drive even if it’s no longer showing up in windows explorer. The only requirement is that your device has to appear in the Windows device manager list. Using Disk Drill is super easy, and you can recover your malfunctioning hard drive in a few minutes!
Method 2 – Updating Your Hitachi Hard Drive Drivers
Whenever you encounter issues with your Hitachi hard drive, you should update its drivers. This method might not work for everyone, but it’s worth giving it a shot as it only requires you to spend a couple of minutes of your time.
To update your Hitachi hard drive drivers, follow these steps:
- Enter device manager either via the Properties window in My Computer or by searching the box on the taskbar.
- Find your Hitachi hard drive in the Disk drives category.
- Select the Update Driver option.
- Click on the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
Method 3 – Changing Your Hitachi Hard Drive Letter
Changing the letter on your Hitachi Hard Drive can help you restore access to it, especially if the original letter has been removed for some reason. Here’s what you need to do:
- Rick-click the Windows 10 menu button.
- Select Disk Management option.
- Right-click your Hitachi Hard Drive.
- Select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- Click the Add button.
- Choose a new drive letter.
- Hit the Change button.
Once you’re done, you might want to restart your computer just in case. If the process did nothing for your Hitachi hard drive, we advise you to try another method.
Is it possible to recover data from a Dead/Physically Damaged Hitachi Hard Drive?
Data recovery programs, such as Disk Drill, are great for restoring files that were accidentally deleted, corrupted, or lost during the formatting process. In cases where the hard drive has been physically damaged, you should consider contacting a professional data recovery service. Opening up the hard drive itself and seeing what’s wrong with it isn’t viable, as you have to be an expert in the field to successfully fix the issue.
Don’t know which data recovery service to opt for? You’re in luck because we’ve written a thorough article on the best hard drive data recovery services! It’s an easy-to-read guide meant to help you choose the most suitable service to recover your Hitachi drive.
In case you lose your files, the most important thing to do is not to panic, as there are solutions like Disk Drill, which can do their magic and help you recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive. Without panicking and by using Disk Drill, you significantly up the chances of restoring any lost items!