If you want to find out how to recover deleted files from a Hitachi Hard Drive, you’ve come to the right place! Our article will show you what to do and what not to do in case you lose files on a Hitachi Drive and list the best possible solutions you can opt for.
Is It Possible To Recover Data From a Hitachi Hard Drive?
Whether you can recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive or not, depends on the way you lost your files. There are multiple ways you can lose data, such as:
- Getting an error on your external drive – In case your drive is unreadable, you will either be able to fix it in a snap or have to spend hours to resolve the issue. One of the most common reasons your drive might be unrecognized by your operating system is that you’ve taken your drive out of the computer without ejecting it properly in Windows. If this has happened to you, you’ll be able to get your files back in no time.
- Formatting your external drive – If you’ve formatted your Hitachi Hard Drive, don’t worry as the situation isn’t as dire as it may seem. Whether you can recover your lost files in this case, depends on the formation type you opted for. In case you’ve chosen the quick format option, then you can recover your lost files. Choosing the full format option on the other hand, means that every bit on your Hitachi drive has been deleted, making your files unrecoverable.
- Converting your external drive to a RAW format – One of the biggest technology-related headaches is getting a drive that’s converted to a RAW format. It’s an inconvenience that’s often unsolvable, but there are some programs that can help you with recovering your files. Keep in mind that in such cases, you can’t always recover all of your files but only a portion of them.
- Accidentally deleting your files – Have you deleted your files accidentally? If so, don’t worry a bit because your chances of recovering them are high! Accidents happen to anyone and there are programs that can help you get all your files back fast. You should note that if you’ve used your external drive after deleting your data, there are chances that data has gotten corrupted.
Before We Start
Before you recover deleted files from a Hitachi Hard Drive, there are several things you should do to prepare everything accordingly. You should:
- Stop using your device – It’s super important for you to stop using your device as soon as you lose your files. If you keep using the device, some files might get corrupted or overwritten and you’ll only add fuel to the fire.
- Not format/reformat the drive – Even though formatting may sometimes be the surest way to fix hard drive problems, it will negatively impact your chances of recovering data or even reduce them to zero. That’s why it’s better to leave it to the very last moment and finish reading the article first.
- Create a byte-to-byte backup – When you backup your data, you ensure that it stays safe in case of another mishap or accident. The easiest way you can do this is to use Disk Drill, as it allows you to create a byte-to-byte copy of your files in a few easy steps. All you have to do is simply open the program and hit the Drive Backup button.
How To Recover Data From a Hitachi Hard Drive
To recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive, you first need to download an adequate program that allows you to do just that. You’ve several options to choose from as the internet is flooded with data recovery software.
Option A: Disk Drill for Windows
One of the most popular names in the data recovery world has to be Disk Drill. This feature-packed program lets you recover up to 500 MB of files free of charge. It’s got a clean and simple interface, which allows anyone from a computer expert to a complete beginner to use it hassle-free. Recovering lost data with Disk Drill is possible in only a few clicks, making it one of the best data recovery apps in the industry. I’ve been using it as my go-to recovery application because it works flawlessly and requires zero effort to use.
To restore your lost files with Disk Drill, all you have to do is:
- Download Disk Drill from the company’s official website.
- Install it on a different drive/volume to avoid overwriting (for example on an USB drive).
- Launch Disk Drill and choose your Hitachi Hard Drive.
- Hit the ‘Search for lost data’ button in Disk Drill.
- Browse the list of recovered files and try previewing the ones you want to save.
- Click the ‘Recover’ button and choose a destination where you want Disk Drill to send your lost files to (be sure to store the files to a different volume/drive to avoid overwriting).
Note that if you want to recover more than 500 MB worth of files with Disk Drill from your Hitachi Hard Drive, you will have to buy the full version of the program. I’d say the purchase is worth it as Disk Drill does everything it advertises to do and more. You can also catch various discounts on the company’s website, which make the program even more worth it.
Option B: Windows File Recovery Tool
Windows File Recovery is another popular data recovery application designed for Windows that’s completely free. Because of that, it isn’t as feature-packed as Disk Drill, and can sometimes hiccup while performing. Keep in mind that Windows File Recovery has a command-line interface, making it a bit rough to get accustomed to for new users. Nonetheless, I chose it as an alternative to Disk Drill because it’s free and takes only a few steps to use.
Here’s how it works:
- Download Windows File Recovery from the official app page.
- Open Windows File Recovery and allow access if asked to.
- Type in the following command line: winfr source-drive: destination-folder [/extensive] [/winfr]
- Press Y when you’re prompted to continue.
- Wait for the Windows File Recovery to finish the scan.
- Press Y once the application is finished scanning to view recovered files.
Options to Recover a Malfunctioned Hitachi Hard Drive
Has your Hitachi Hard Drive stopped functioning properly? If so, don’t worry—we’ll show you the most reliable methods of recovering a Hitachi Hard Drive that has stopped functioning properly.
Method 1 – Using Data Recovery Software
Don’t want to waste your time on manually recovering your malfunctioning Hitachi Hard Drive? Yet again, the most reliable method of solving this issue is installing the aforementioned Disk Drill. We’ve given you the steps you need to follow to use it correctly, but you may still be wondering how can Disk Drill access a disk? This amazing program can read your Hitachi Hard Drive even if it’s no longer showing up in windows explorer. The only requirement is that your device has to appear in the Windows device manager list. Using Disk Drill is super easy, and you can recover your malfunctioning hard drive in a few minutes!
Method 2 – Updating Your Hitachi Hard Drive Drivers
The first thing you want to do is to update the drivers of your Hitachi Hard Drive. This method might not work for everyone, but it’s worth giving it a shot as it only requires you to spend a couple of minutes of your time.
To update your Hitachi Hard Drive drivers, follow these steps:
- Enter device manager either via the Properties window in My Computer or by searching the box on the taskbar.
- Find your Hitachi Hard Drive in the Disk drives category.
- Select the Update Driver option.
- Click on the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
Method 3 – Changing Your Hitachi Hard Drive Letter
The programs you use have to work around a file path in the background, using the drive letters in the process. Changing the letter on your Hitachi Hard Drive can help you recover it, and the process requires you to:
- Rick-click the Windows 10 menu button.
- Select Disk Management option.
- Right-click your Hitachi Hard Drive.
- Select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- Click the Add button.
- Choose a new drive letter.
- Hit the Change button.
Once you’re done, you might want to restart your computer just in case. If the process did nothing for your Hitachi Hard Drive, we advise you try another method.
Is it possible to recover data from a Dead/Physically Damaged Hitachi Hard Drive?
Data recovery programs, such as Disk Drill, are great for restoring files that were accidentally deleted, corrupted, or lost during the formatting process. In cases where the hard drive has been physically damaged, you should consider contacting a professional data recovery service. Opening up the hard drive itself and seeing what’s wrong with it isn’t viable, as you have to be an expert in the field to identify a diagnosis.
Don’t know which data recovery service to opt for? You’re in luck because we’ve written a thorough article on the best hard drive data recovery services out there! It’s an easy-to-read guide meant to choose the most suitable service to recover your Hitachi Drive.
In case you lose your files, the most important thing to do is not to panic, as there are solutions like Disk Drill, which can do their magic and help you recover data from a Hitachi Hard Drive. Without panicking and by using Disk Drill, you significantly up the chances of restoring any lost items!